Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cherry on Top award! Hurrah!



The following happened (for real!) several years back! (I am not telling you how many years back, but I was in middle school). We were getting our reviewed English language assignments back from the teacher. If I remember correctly, we were supposed to write an interpretation of some poem or play. Now you have to understand that I was an excellent student in all other subjects, but when it came to languages, especially writing lengthy interpretations, I wasn't that great. I scored mainly because of grammar.


Flashback starts ..................................................................
Teacher: Shilpa, here is your reviewed assignment.
Moi: Thanks!

Teacher: Shilpa! (with a sigh!) Let me tell you something...
...I wait anxiously! What could it be! Am I in trouble?...

Teacher: Shilpa dear, you are a very bright student
... OK that sounds very encouraging! I do love science!)...

Teacher: But you have the mind of a Scientist!
...Wow! Just what I always wanted to hear... hold on... why did she say "But"...

Teacher: YOU CAN NEVER BECOME A WRITER!
Teacher: Using a languages in it's most beautiful way and weaving stories with words are just not your area of expertise. I suggest you don't try your luck in writing!

...Oh no! My whole world is crashing!!!

Wait a minute... WRITER! What on earth gave her the idea that I wanted to be a writer!... Language study (English or Hindi) is a thing that I have to do... not what I want to do. I would rather immerse myself in Science all day! The only language I love is Sanskrit.... ask me why? Because it's like a programming language!

Moi (smiling brightly): Thank you Mam! (Teacher is confused!)
Flashback ends ..................................................................

Believe it or not, I was happy that whole week. I actually took it as a compliment that I had the mind of a scientist and not a writer...

So imagine my surprise when my blog got the "Cherry on Top" Award from Leena.

I swear I did not bribe her... YET! It's not like I never dreamt of getting an award (Hello! have you seen my shameless plugs on Facebook?) But I didn't expect to get something so soon and that too in a totally legit manner! THANK YOU LEENA!



There are some associated rules though...

1. Answer this question: If you had the chance to go back and change one thing in your life, would you and what would it be?
I would be lying if I said that my life is oh! so perfect... But honestly, life has taught me now that perfection is overrated and the little imperfections make the life oh! so interesting. But if I could really change something, I would love to be 8" taller, because I have the perfect weight for that height.

2. The second thing you have to do is, pick 6 people and give them this award. You then have to inform the person that they have gotten this award.
(In my Oscars voice!) There are so many people that deserve this recognition, but since this is my non-technical (Not scientific) blog, I will try and pick the 6 best non-technical blogs that I can remember right now. 
  1. Shruti for http://mindfull-meanderings.blogspot.com/ Honestly, I am not giving her this award because I won a contest on her blog today. The official reason is that I adore the compilation of crafts there.
  2. Patricia for http://coloursdekor.blogspot.com/ This is a real feast for eyes
  3. Aura for http://aurajoon.blogspot.com/ I love the way she uses photographs
  4. Disha for http://dishazworld.blogspot.com/ An awesome budding photographer with a golden heart
  5. Zandra for http://zandraalexanderfitness.blogspot.com/
  6. Chic Mommy for http://craftychicmommy.blogspot.com/
If I didn't pick you, please don't hate me. As you can see, I didn't pick my other crafts blog http://thecraftscorner.blogspot.com/ either... Someone please give that blog an award too otherwise it would get jealous of it's sibling!

3. The third and final thing is, thank the person who gave you the award.
Leena, I am honoured. From the bottom of my heart, Thank you so much for this award and motivation. I truly hope I can continue to write and entertain you and all the other readers with quality posts.

And finally a big shout out to my dear English teacher... "Mam! I hope you are proud that you taught even your worst students so well that they can write a blog!"

Siging off,
Shilpa

6 comments:

  1. You deserve it Shilpa! I love reading your blog and enjoy it thoroughly, so keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Shilpa! Great acceptance speech too, btw! You ARE ready for the Oscars. Heck! I think you were ready 10 yrs ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I still cannot stop smiling! People might think I got Botox shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats and i'm much honoured that u passed it on to me. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats di..you so deserved it..i love your blog :)
    And thanks for passing it to me. Now i also cannot stop smiling :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations and thank you for thinking that my blog deserved a little love. :)

    ReplyDelete