Monday, August 2, 2010

Musical beds!

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.— Leo Burke

I have never been lucky enough to sleep easily... even before I had babies, I always found it hard to sleep... After having babies, I found it even harder...

Earlier, I was never too tired to sleep or had a lot on my mind, I laughed at people that took day-time naps, and always had energy to stay awake the whole night if needed...

Now..., after having the kids, I am always tired by night, jealous of people who have the luxury of a day-time nap and cannot stay awake the whole night... I am ready to sleep ANYTIME now!

But of course, we are a family that plays musical beds at night....


Yes, you read it right... Musical Beds!!! Without reading further, can you guess what that is... you get 3 guesses...

...

No, my bed does not make music (or creaky noises for that matter)
....
No, I do not sing lullabies to my kids... well not anymore... I did that before, but my husband and kids said that they preferred the crying baby to my singing voice...


...

And No, my radio alarm clock does not play songs in the morning... it is firmly set to NPR (National Public Radio) and I do catch up on world events in the morning if my other alarm clock does not wake me up before...


....

OK, 3 chances are up... Let me explain...

The "musical beds" is just like "musical chairs" game, except...
  • It is played at night
  • The beds are used as chairs
  • All of us have a "starting" bed at night
  • We go through diff beds / rooms on cues of "music" (yells, cries) and end up in different beds at the end of the game (morning)!
On any given night, we start by tucking Reya in and depending on her arguments and our bargaining, she could end up in her, ours, Rithik's or the guest bedroom.

Then we try putting Rithik to bed... he is very particular about sleeping in his own room ONLY, and with his hands firmly holding my cheeks....

Rahul sleeps in the master bedroom


After Rithik sleeps, I go to my bed.... and then the game begins...


Over the next few hours, several movements happen, sometimes Reya wakes up and comes to our bed, sometimes she starts crying and I go over to her bed, sometimes Rithik wakes up, finds me and then drags me to his bed DEMANDING to hold my cheeks and sometimes I just drag him to my bed... and sometimes I wake up for no reason at all and cannot sleep again, so I start writing another blog entry...
 
But the most common outcome of the night is that we all wake up on our bed, Rahul curled up in corner, me squished in the middle and Reya and Rithik taking majority of the bed...
 


....

....

...

But even with all the musical beds at night, when the kids wake up, give me a smile and say "Good morning!" ... it's all Music to my ears...


Signing off,
Shilpa
PS: Share your sleep map with us... do you also jump around at night?

12 comments:

  1. I love the way you put in the cartoons in your posts! Very creative :) We play a different game, it is called musical position! Our positions are drastically different, often the faces of H and I are squished with Narad's feet firmly placed against the cheeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha... I have heard about the H position before... funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey.. its a lovely blog !!! i can hear you about sleeping, and do remember the times in SKV when i used to have afternoon naps.. however, with a grown up child.. its possible sometimes.. however, the dishes and the cleaning keeps on comming like a horror dream.

    u know my mom used to lay on a sofa and we wud watch TV .. and that was the time she wud sleep the most..we (especially me) used to get really annoyed, that she doesn't watch TV ..and used to make fun of her .

    now the best i can fall asleep is when i switch the TV on and go to channes USA--> law and order .. and after abt. 30 mins.. my son will keep telling me to switch off the TV ..or he'll just swicth to his own show.

    and where.. do i like to sleep... on the couch at the living room :)...

    ur blog is really great !! i guess this is what is called a perfect family with happy lives :) and especially with beautiful children like hritik and reya.. and their lovely and intelligent mom and great dad..(a bit spoiling though ).. its even much more better..

    keep sharing ur blogs with all of us..coz..it instantly brings smile on our faces..:)

    TC.. and love to kids ..
    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richa... my life is far from perfect... I do have my share of disappointments, fights, and all that kind of stuff... my life can be described as NORMAL at best...

    it's just that it's easier to share the positives than negatives... and honestly, I am trying to write more about good things because that forces me to think positively... if I focus on negatives, I will start thinking negative...

    Anyways, when will you start following my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant post, Shilpa! As one of your friends commented, the use of cartoons enhanced it..

    Darn! Now I need to add ONE more blog to my must-read list :)

    Keep it going!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Vishy, your comment made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hence why I am terrified of having children :( Don't know if I'll ever get past my fear really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annah! you have (had) puppies... and they even chewed your ethernet cable... I am sure they slept on your bed too. And you could never get mad at them... I think you are ready to be a parent... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. bravo shilpa...that is so true !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL - very good post Shilpa! My situation is similar although thankfully we don't change or jump between rooms...it is usually little N's bed versus ours. And most of the times, it ends up with N taking up most of our KING size bed while tugging at my hair with her hands kicking my hubby's face with her feet! But it all ends well when she wakes up with a nice cozy smile to both of us :-)

    Love your blog and will keep coming back for more...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Divs, hope you come back again. And I enjoyed your guest post on ulaar's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!..
    most popular beds

    ReplyDelete