Thursday, December 2, 2010

What makes a good parent?

When I got married, I had 4 theories on how to be a good parent... Now I have 2 kids and no theories....

This question often stumps me. WHAT MAKES A GOOD PARENT?

To my surprise, the answer turned out to be very very simple and it came from an unlikely source... Reya

Recently, I took Reya for a walk in a new open-air shopping complex. We spent a couple hours bonding by shopping for cute lunch boxes and had a great time. Then we saw a Merlion fountain with coins in it. Reya asked me why there were coins in the fountain. I told Reya it was a wishing well and explained to her how to make a wish. I took out 2 coins and we both made a wish.

Reya asked me what wish I made. I told I wanted to be a good parent.

Reya exclaimed "Your wish came true. You ARE a good parent... REALLY"

I was happy, yet puzzled... Reya is generally not very approving of my parenting style and she has made it clear to me on several occasions. So I asked her "Why?"

Reya explained "Because you let me watch TV this morning. And I really wanted to watch TV, because I didn't watch any the whole week. So you are a good parent!"

Ah! Now the mystery is solved... All you got to do to be a good parent is to let your kid watch some TV... EASY!

Signing off,
Shilpa

8 comments:

  1. Yeah also include Wii and video games like DS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...and dont forget the ice-scream treats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome article, made me smile at the end..btw i like your daughter's name :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the comments!

    Tara, I can dedicate a whole blog post to my kids name... thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shilpa
    I have an entire post on the topic. funny how i am copybook and you are rooted to PRACTICAL. Yet i understand when you say after 2 children, there is no theory left.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing. She is admitting that you are a good parent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shilpa,

    If you dont mind, can you please let me know what exactly is the meaning of name "REYA"? I like this name and wanted to name my new born daughter with the same. I searched for its meaning on google but did not really find a convincing meaning anywhere. The closest was "Goddess lakshmi" in Sanskrit/Hindu.

    I will be extremely grateful if you could get back to me asap.

    Thanks,
    Sachin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anonymous, I just explained the meaning of Reya in my next blog post... check it out and please do leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete