Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Birthday Reya

Seven years ago, on April 21 2004, Reya came into my arms!!!

Reya was born through a last-minute C-section. Since I had epidural, I was awake during the surgery. Rahul was sitting beside me and as soon as Reya was born, the nurse wrapped her in a blanket and took her to check the vitals. All I saw was a blanket and a head full of thick black hair going past me. Rahul immediately rushed to her and at that very moment, I knew that she was going to be the no. 1 girl in Rahul's life forever... After all, I am the no. 1 girl in my Dad's life too.

Reya was born tiny, but she soon became a chubby baby... Her legs were so fat that we had to change one of her nicknames from "chicken legs" to "turkey legs"! We had several other nicknames for her...


From the very beginning, Reya looked like me. I remember coming from my first ultrasound with black and white images and Rahul exclaiming to everyone... "Doesn't she look exactly like Shilpa... Look at the nose"... :-)

I in turn look like my mother. When a pediatrician came to check Reya in the hospital, my mother was sitting there as well and the doctor exclaimed "Oh my! You all look the same!!!" Now whenever my mother says that Reya is beautiful, Rahul teases him that she just wants to praise her own beauty!

Over the past 7 years, all the baby fat is gone. And it's hard to find enough flesh to hold in my hands when I want to pull her cheeks anymore.

But one thing has not changed so far. Reya has been true to her name. She has always had a demeanour of a queen. As a baby, when she threw a ball, she didn't crawl after it... she expected the ball to be brought back to her... But that also means that she has a very big heart. If I am late in buying a gift for a birthday party, she would instantly offer her own things to be given as gift... a trait that I have yet to see in another child.

She is a content person and other than SUGAR (which is absolutely rationed), she doesn't really ask for anything. She also has a strong sense of right and wrong, except when I ask her to clean her room.. and that makes complete sense... what kind of queen cleans her own room!

Although she adores her father, she has also taken some of my traits. She does not play with dolls, just like I never did... I have never bought her a doll and whatever dolls she got as gifts are either thrown away or lying in their boxes, useless... The other day when I asked her why she didn't like dolls, the answer was, "What do dolls do anyways?" Smart answer.

Reya has not yet decided what she is going to be when she grows up. In her school, each year the kids need to tell when they want to be when they grow up. Reya's choices so far have been Queen and Doctor. Her dad has been trying to convince her to be an Investment banker. But given her arguments, litigation skills, interrogation skills and negotiation skills I think she will be a good lawyer or politician... and dare I say President...

I cannot predict future, but I feel she is destined to be a celebrity. She is already practicing to deal with paparazzi... whenever I try to take a picture of her, she covers her face...





Last night to celebrate her birthday, I made a butterfly cake per her instructions... and I pray that my little caterpillar grows up to be a beautiful butterfly and fly to new heights... Amen!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REYA!

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Reya, beautiful post of a wonderful daughter. I almost got in tears... :)
    As aptly mentioned, we never know what our children would grow up to become... But you are a wonderful mom, your care and good nurturing-education will definitely will bring out the best in her and she will be flying in wonderful colors.
    Many Many happy returns of the day once again dear Reya

    ReplyDelete