Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What do you do when your kid refuses to take a bath...

It is said that Cleanliness is next to Godliness....

 But everyone who has raised a child knows that when it comes to a toddler, cleanliness is as impossible to achieve as godliness...



Luckily, both Reya and Rithik enjoy their bath times. Reya alone is responsible for half the consumption of body wash, shampoo, hand soap and hand sanitizers in the house. For Christmas, Reya's wish list for Santa actually included a set of hand sanitizers in diff scents... I am not kidding! She eventually got the set and she hides it in her room as a prized possession only to be shared with close friends and people she really likes... in short, I don't get to touch it...

But still there are those wacky days when a child, who normally loves his bath refuses to get in the tub... This was one such day.



I had been running late and had only 30 min to make dinner. Usually in these situations, the normal thing to do is to put the kids in the tub where they "swim like a fish" and have a ton of fun. Unfortunately, Rithik was in a major tantrum mode and was just crying and crying. And to make matters worse, I was out of the bubble bath and fizz balls that usually get him out of this mode.... Rithik just wanted to sit in my lap. I thought about cancelling cooking dinner and asking Hubby to get sandwiches, and let him skip his bath. 

Don't you judge me here... I am a working mom of two who also has to work at  night with offshore teams. I am human and have never claimed to be GOD or even God's assistant. Between forcefully sanitizing a crying child and inviting a bigger tantrum and keeping my sanity, I will opt for sanity from time to time... thank you very much!

But Rithik was stinky. He had a diaper accident that day in his day care and needed that bath... Something had to be done...

After careful consideration, I handled Rithik just the way I handle his soiled laundry.... leave it in the laundry bag for DAD to tackle...


And luckily for me, Rithik also agreed with this mode of handling... Crisis averted... Phew!

So dear readers, the next time your kids refuse to take a bath, just toss them in the laundry basket...
JUST KIDDING! 

But don't you agree that when kids are actually clean, they do give us a glimpse of Godliness?



Please leave a comment and tell me how you dea with your kids' tantrums.... and give me and fellow parents some ideas on how to keep yor sanity during those tantrums.... please! You will be doing community service by doing this.

Until next time!
Shilpa

No comments:

Post a Comment