Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Happy Birthday to me!

For all the advances in medicine, there is still no cure for the common birthday. But I still think that birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.


It was my birthday last week. If history is any indication, this day is always eventful. For example, 2 years ago, I spent my birthday in urgent care till 10 pm when Rithik got a nursemaid elbow. The bigger my plans for my special day, the bigger the disappointment. So all I wanted for my birthday was a day without any surprises and bad news.


The birthday was on a Friday, a day that I observe a fast. So I said no to having a cake... Hubby urged for an egg less cake, but honestly, I didn't have the energy after a fast to make a cake. So hubby decided to cut the cake on Thursday night itself. I made a pineapple cake, and the kids decorated. No frosting.... we don't need the extra sugar at bed time...





And since it was my birthday, there had to be some drama... As soon as the cake was decorated, Reya and Rithik got into a fight and Rahul had to intervene. Reya started crying due to something Rahul said to her and demanded him to apologize. Rahul stood his ground and Reya came running to me asking me to make Daddy say sorry to her. I refused because I thought Rahul was right and instead asked her to stop crying and join my birthday party.


Reya was livid and was crying on the top of her lungs. Both Rahul and I invited her again to join us for cake. She kept crying and ultimately Rahul and I decided to ignore the crying and cut the cake, because just like the American government, we don't give in to the demands of terrorists... Rithik and Rahul sang the Birthday song and I blew the candles with help from Rithik.






Now Reya got really mad that we ignored her crying and I blew the candles. She demanded that I burn the candles again and let her blow them this time. I offered to do that as long as she stops crying, washes her face and smile... which she did... and then we blew the candles all over again with Reya.




The funniest part of the whole cake cutting drama was that the kids had put in the candles in the warm cake and when we took them out, the wax had melted and seeped in the cake, so we ended up removing some sections of the cake... at least, the kids learnt a science lesson about heat.


Friday was as plain and uneventful as I wanted it to be, but filled with wished from friends on phone, email chat and facebook. Thank you all for making me feel loved on my special day.


One thing that I noticed on this day was that over the last 12 years of my married life, the number of  relatives from my in-laws side who wish me birthday have surpassed the no. of people from my parents side. I take it as a sign that I have somehow made a place for myself in my "sasuraal" (in-laws side) and have earned their love and blessings. I couldn't be happier.


On Saturday, my darling husband forced me to go to the mall and buy a present for myself. He doesn't buy presents for anyone, but still wants me to get one... so he just delegates it to me... He even printed macy's coupons and handed them to me and took charge of the kids. After spending 3 hours in the mall, I returned home with .... 2 pants for Reya and 3 pairs of baby clothes for my newborn niece Tamanna who I was visiting that afternoon. All Rahul could say was "What???"


And that's the recap of my birthday... now I know the burning question in your mind.... "How old is she now?" Go ahead and ask it.....


All of you: "How old are you Shilpa?"
Me: I am the same as I was last year....
All of you: How?


Me: Time and Tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty... 


Until next time,
Shilpa, Reya and Rithik


2 comments: