Friday, October 28, 2011

Diwali 2011


Candles crackers sweet and rangoli ... These are the pictures that comes to mind when I think of Diwali the festival of lights... Back home in India the Diwali was the best time of year. Schools were out and no restriction on how much sweets we could eat. Visiting friends and family, doing Pooja at night, and bursting crackers till late night.... this was Diwali!



After coming to united states, this became a memory of the past. The day came and went each year but it was not the same. Once I did not even realize it was Diwali untill two days before.

But once my kids were born I decided that it was time to change. It was important to us that I our kids learned about the festivalsof India. So now each year I involve my kids in Diwali preparation and this year was no exception. The kids painted the diyas with me cleaned the house bought sweets with me and even made Rangoli. It gives me a lot of pleasure to see the kids excited about it. Reya was an excellent helper and Rithik helped as well.

Here are some of the highlights of this Diwali... first we beautified the house and made a Rangoli in front and back of the house.



On Dhanteras, people buy a new gold, silver or utensils... Gold and Silver being vetoed by hubby, I went for utensils and got the following from my favorite Lock & Lock... and then after months..... made Carrot Halwa to celebrate the festival.



Huge picnic style salad container from Lock and Lock
Then on Diwali day, we prepped for the pooja... For the pooja prasad (sweets), I even kept candies (Brach's autumn mix) as it really motivates the kids for pooja...



We made small garlands from whatever flowers I could get in my garden.


Special East-facing pooja setup for Diwali...

And the two mini-priests...

Lights around the house...



And of course the sweets!

It was a fun Diwali.... I hope it was the same for you...

Until next time,
Shilpa, Reya and Rithik

1 comment:

  1. Lovely decorations and pretty children.
    Thanks for sharing inspiration on Diwali.
    Happy Diwali to you and your family.

    Cheers xxxx
    Akhila
    Diwali Decorations

    ReplyDelete